Wednesday, January 7, 2009

The Darkest Evening of the Year. . .Koontz is Reaching

Stephen King, M. Night Shyamalan, Ted Bundy and Dean Koontz; I'll take, "People that I would not want to live beside" for 100, Alex. The difference is, I have no interest in the works of King, Shyamalan, or Bundy. As I'm sure you can tell by my book list, I'm a serious fan of the writings of Dean Koontz.

So, of course, when this new book came out, The Darkest Evening of the Year, I was quick to snatch it off the shelf. It only took me four hours to be disappointed.

This story was, to say the least, a reach. I understand that the plight of the Golden Retreiver is an important issue in Koontz's life. As a dog lover, I certainly sympathize. He should, then have written a non-fiction book about Golden Retriever rescue in Southern California. In his attempt to integrate this social issue into his latest book, he tore the storyline to pieces. The flow of this tale was so stilted by Koontz's issues that it was impossible, as the reader, to totally immerse myself in the story.

Best seller (based, I'm certain on Koontz's enormous fan base), or not, I wish Koontz had spend more time developing this story. The plot had the potential to be everything his other books were, but the finished product was lacking.

No comments: