Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Lovely "German" Roulade

OK, "German" is in quotes because, although I am of German heritage, I am American and, as my actually German friend likes to remind me, Americans put their own spin on everything. I've been trying a lot of new German recipes lately and this one went so well, I thought I'd share it. No infringement here, because I can never follow a recipe exactly. . .

You'll need:
1 large steak cut as thin as possible
German Mustard (the more horseradish, the better)
Dill Pickle Slices
Bacon (maple flavor makes this very nice as well)
Tooth Picks
Oil
Water
Lipton's Beef and Onion Soup Mix
2 Tablespoons Flour

Steps:
1: Cut the steak into strips that are about 3 inches thick.
2: Slather mustard on one side of each strip.
3: Place one pickle slice and one strip of bacon on each piece of steak.
4: Roll each piece length-wise and secure with a toothpick.
5: Brown each piece lightly in oil in a deep skillet.
6: Cover the meat with water and mix in the soup mix.
7: Simmer for 1 hour, covered.
8: Mix flour with a small amount of water to make watery paste.
9: Remove meat from skillet.
10: Add paste to skillet and mix until gravy thickens.

This roulade was lovely with mashed potatoes and peas. Enjoy!

No comments: